Monday, November 30, 2009

tough guise

Watching this film brought me right back to high school and middle school--where I thought that I had to be more masculine to prove to the other boys my age that I was cool. When I was eleven and starting middle school, I was chubby, I didn't do any sports and I was far from masculine. People made fun of me for being gay when I was unable to do sports in gym, and I constantly felt like I had to change in order to fit in. However, I was too lazy to change, so I continued to be called the fag.
I'm really happy that this film was made, because I had always just assumed that men were supposed to act certain ways, and that if one didn't conform, than he was just lesser of a man. The film helped me realize that there are different types of men, and they do not have to exert violence or sexism to be socially acceptable or man enough. It was the first time I had heard someone other than close friends speak about this subject as a social problem. I really appreciate how the film illustrates the problems that men face, because although women's issues are incredibly important, many people don't understand the pressure that men face in our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment