Thursday, December 10, 2009

OA

For my outrageous act I wore heels to my Thanksgiving dinner.  I wanted to do it to battle the generic and pointless gender roles my family deems necessary.  I wasn't sure what was going to happen when I did it because I have some incredibly conservative family members who I knew would be there.  I assumed my grandparents would push it aside or make stupid comments, and I was sure my great-uncle was going to have something obnoxious to say to me about it. 
The morning of, I got dressed, put the heels on and went downstairs to help my mom get everything ready and wait for the guests to arrive.  When people started getting to the house they all just thought I had grown taller.  Then they looked at my feet and saw that I was wearing my sister's 3 inch heels.  Then the faces were made.
Much to my surprise my grandmother was a lot more okay with it than I thought.  My grandfather just pretended nothing was happening... but my great-uncle was for lack of a better word, a complete dick.  He said that he knew that I was gay, but that he didn't know that I wanted to be a woman.  So then I explained that I was happy as a man and that I was wearing the heels for a project, but he didn't get it.  It was a little bit of an uncomfortable situation for me, but all in all I'm glad I did it.  Because I did "as the women do" that day I was able to show my family that gender does not determine household chores, and a person's behaviors are not always indicative of their genders.  

No comments:

Post a Comment