Thursday, September 10, 2009

Facebook Feminism

Being a freshman, fresh out of high school it is interesting to see how little I knew about feminism- sure it came up now and again in classes but there was never much awareness about the importance of it. In a world of facebook, myspace, twitter, and blogging there are endless outlets where one can get information out there and be heard. I confess I am not a regular newspaper reader and I rarely watch the news; however, I know how to use the internet. I believe that the majority of my peers do as well. True, I have a love-hate relationship with all this crazy new technology, but my point is: this is a perfect way to get the feminist voice out there to youth! If today's youth is the future, shouldn't we be targeting them and informing them? Similarly, since I am not out working in the real world, the sexism I encounter usually comes from teens. Some may believe that they don't know any better and society molds them to think and act certain ways. This may very well be true, so why don't we use these tools like facebook, myspace, and twitter to change "the way it is?" Use the resources that are out there and that teens are exposed to daily and get the messages sent! I strongly believe that feminism is relevant and will always be relevant no matter how much progress we make because it is not an issue that can be solved over night. Laws can be made and changed but there are still individual people in the world who will forever think certain things; let's get these people talking. Create spaces for dialogue and have conversations!

No comments:

Post a Comment