Monday, September 21, 2009

IJA Response

Is there anything that you care about so much that you would dare to get arrested fighting for it?  Is there anything that you would go on a hunger strike for, being force-fed raw eggs through a tube?  Is there anything that you would devote your entire heart and soul to?

I, personally, do not feel that passionately about anything, so it was very interesting for me to see how passionate these women were about their cause.  I think that essentially it was the immense fervor of Alice Paul and her allies that inevitably led to the ratification of the nineteenth amendment in 1920.

I think that what we can all take away from Iron Jawed Angels is that great effort and dedication actually can make a difference – a big one.  However, this comes with a disturbing thought: why should anyone have to fight so hard for something that is so seemingly right?

I was shocked by just how terribly the suffragists were treated by men, the government, and even other women.  It is incredible that with nearly all of society against them, the suffragists never gave up.  I am not sure that in the same position I would be able to be so courageous.

Hopefully, I will never have to go through what these suffragists had to go through.  However, I hope that if I ever care about an issue as much as they did, I will fight just as hard for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment