Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Feminism in the 21st Century

I have to be honest I really never connected the inequalities that occur in our society to feminism. After reading the personal stories about feminism and the history behind it I realized that yes, I believe that feminism is still in need today. But I do have to acknowledge that the movement has come a long way, with women voting and in the military. Now we are seeing more and more women in position of power and in institutions where men usually hold all the positions. With that being said I still think that feminism is relevant because of the sexism and the glass ceiling that prevent women from moving up to positions faster and also because the way that women are criticized when they decide to work in the labor force. I will also have to include the media and its impact on peoples thinking about women’s roles in society. The media creates negative perception of women in the work force which makes it even harder for women to have a family friendly relationship with the company that they work with. I say this because most jobs do not pay for maternity leave or have no help when employees need child care. Feminism is also important because there needs to be more focus and attention on feminism with the experience of African American, Hispanic and Asian women. I believe that there will be new issues and concerns that the feminist movement will have to deal with in the 21sr century.

No comments:

Post a Comment