Monday, September 21, 2009

Iron Jawed Angels

Iron Jawed Angels was nothing like what I expected; it was one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. Does anyone know how accurate the movie is in portraying what actually happened? I realized when I was watching that I had never really thought about what those women went through. I mean I thought about it, but what I imagined was no where near what the movie depicted; I felt a kind of bizarre appreciation.
One of the parts that didn’t surprise me, but maybe should have, were the issues of race; how black women weren’t really included. (This is most likely because I read about it a while back in our Women: Images etc. book). I’m not saying I agree with the treatment of black women (because I absolutely do not) but I do see where the NAWSA and the NWP were coming from, they needed all the support they could get from women and if that meant they couldn’t include black women it puts them in a very difficult position, especially when the majority of them didn’t agree with this. I don’t know what I would have done if I were in their position.
What I found kind of upsetting was that the only reason Wilson spoke on behalf of women voting, seemingly taking their side, was because the hunger strike and mistreatment of women in the jail leaked to the press and he was at risk for bad publicity. I don’t know enough about this to know if this part of history is accurate but if it is I’m very disappointed that that is how it happened. I suppose I should be happy just in general that it happened at all, but I can’t help but feel let down that after all the work the women’s suffrage movement put it, it was as shallow as bad publicity for the president.

No comments:

Post a Comment