Saturday, September 12, 2009

Yes, We Can Vote, But Is That Enough?

Ok, so we have the right to vote, and have for many years, but still, how about equal pay? Or being treated the same as men in stores, or banks? Is it really fair that when my mom was trying to get her first credit card she had to apply about ten times, although she had good credit, before she was approved, and my dad was approved his first time? Or that when my little sister wanted to play baseball in middle school, she couldn't? People may think that feminism is unnecessary, especially in the US, but women still don't have equal rights. Growing up in a feminist family, I was exposed to a different family dynamic than most of my friends, with their stay at home moms who coddled them until they left the house. I never understood when my friends didn't get outraged at sexist things that happened at my school, like why was the dress code ten times stricter for girls than it was for boys? They just said oh well, and accepted it. There are so many different ways that women are margnialized and treated unfairly here, in our homes, and not too many people pay attention to it. Women are working now, in jobs equal to men, and yet they are still paid less, although they may be more qualified for it. Women still do not have equal rights, and until they do, both politically, socially, and domestically, feminism will be necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment