Monday, September 21, 2009

Iron Jawed Angels

At first, I thought this movie was going to be a boring documentary on women's suffrage with black and white pictures of protests and historians commenting on various events and people. After watching the movie, I realized that I learned a lot of things that I probably would not have learned from a documentary. Because the movie told a story, the viewer also gets a sense of the emotion involved in the women's suffrage movement, something that a documentary usually does not do. One thing I learned from the movie was what a long struggle gaining the right to vote was. I always knew the range of years for the first wave, but I never realized how long and hard this struggle was. It also made me think about how hard it must have been for women like Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton to dedicate their lives to this cause and not even get to see an amendment in their lifetime. This movie made me realize how much I take for granted my right to vote and how much more that right gives me than an ability to say who the leaders of our country are.

No comments:

Post a Comment