Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My Eyes Have Been Opened - Why We Need Feminism

There is no doubt in my mind that feminism is not only relevant, but also needed, in today's day and age. I came to Wheaton College as a naive seventeen year-old from a small town in Vermont. I grew up with two amazing older brothers who never treated me any differently based on my gender - as far as they were concerned I was one of the boys. My Mother was the do-it-all single mother. She worked, she cooked, she home schooled all three of her children until middle school. Growing up I never found reason to question my role or place in society as a female. In turn, I have found college to be an extremely enlightening environment when it comes to the past achievements, current struggles, and future concerns of the Feminist movement. I find it almost incomprehensible that during my lifetime men were legally allowed to rape their wives. But the part that really scares me is the inequalities that still face women today. I think it is also important to note that while the Feminist Movement has made great strides in improving the lives of women, the main beneficiaries have been white females. Discrepancies exist between females of different races and ethnicities as well as between white males and females. America is only going to continue to diversify, and I see the Feminist Movement as key to women all over the world who continue to seek equality.

No comments:

Post a Comment