Monday, September 14, 2009

My Top 25

Yesterday, after spending the majority of the day avoiding thinking about why I think feminism is still important, I stumbled across a portion of my iTunes library that typically goes unnoticed: The Top 25 Most played songs. My Top 25 is a diverse collection of some radio hits, moody jams, and an almost humiliating amount of dance mixes. I’ll start with a mellow beat by Dierks Bentley. “Come a Little Closer Baby” is a catchy tune that many would categorize as a love song. After a brief investigation of the lyrics, I found this line: “I feel like layin you down. On a bed of sweet surrender, where we can work it all out.” This particular sentiment, although most likely not intended to strike up a conversation about feminism, irks me a little bit. Especially at this age, as we attempt to have adult relationships, all too often sex is used as a synonym for love. Every weekend we see Wheaton women, including myself, get all dolled up for the chance to turn a few heads at a party. My next Top 25 confession pays homage to that effort we females make. I dare admit that coming in at #24 is Colby O’Donis with “What You Got.” I will pause briefly, ashamed that I have listened to and probably sang the lyrics “I don’t mind if you come and play with us, just don’t talk too much” a total of 72 times. This entire song is dedicated to describing an impressively hot and apparently passive female, every man’s dream right? Despite the progress our society has made, the presence of such blatant sexism is still acceptable in our daily lives. For this reason, and a myriad of others, feminism is still important today.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that today's music isn't the most empowering towards women. Not only are the lyrics degrading but the artists themselves are contributing to this whole issue by not actively choosing different lyrics or by choosing to fall into the stereotypical female image/response expected of them during interviews i.e. Julianne Hough's last response in this interview: http://www.theboot.com/2009/12/09/julianne-hough-interview/

    ReplyDelete