Monday, September 21, 2009

Violence in Iron Jawed Angels

I found Iron Jawed Angels to be a shocking, and enlightening movie. I realized after watching it that I really had no idea of the struggles that women went through to obtain the vote. Although the picketing, protests, parades and speeches did not surprise me, I was appalled by the amount of violence and cruelty that Alice Paul and the other women in the movie endured. It was startling for me to realize that not only were these women verbally assaulted, but also physically abused while in prison. I could not believe that the United States treated its citizens in the way that they did, by tossing them violently into prison then by physically forcing food down their throats. The hardest part of the movie for me to watch was when Alice Paul had a tube pushed down her throat and raw egg was poured directly down it into her stomach. This movie provided me with a fresh appreciated for my own ability to vote, and a  profound gratitude for what women in the past have gone through to give me this right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment