Monday, September 21, 2009

Iron Jawed Angels

I was really looking forward to seeing this Iron Jawed Angels. I didn't have many expectations for it, thinking that it'd be a documentary very similar to what we viewed in class last Thursday. However, reading the synopsis and seeing that actresses I was very familiar with would have leading roles added to my excitement, but also caused me to be a bit inquisitive about the film. Many movies that are based off of books and true stories tend to do a rather bad job of the actual portrayal of events and characters. They add in fictional characters and scenes or even take away important ones. However, I loved Iron Jawed Angels and some of the fiction included in the movie were may favorites parts. Beginning with the Emily Leighton (the senator's wife). Her character and story was one of the most intriguing to me. From the moment she was walking down the street with her daughter and was asked if she'd like to be a volunteer or make a donation to the women's suffrage group, to her writings in her diary, to her husbands visit in jail, I felt a connection to the curiosity involved in the diversity of the many women suffragists. I felt that although Emily was not necessarily a real person there were many women like her, closely related to political figures and believing in the fight for women's rights and wanting to participate in the movement. I did not think Emily was going to fully immerse herself in the movement but was overjoyed when she did. My favorite line of hers was "They are the only reason I am here" (in reference to her two daughters). That line showed both the will, strength and maternal instinct that many feel is not included in the personality of a feminist.

Aside from the Emily Leighton I enjoyed developing more knowledge about just went Alice Paul and hundreds of women endured to gain equal rights. While I learned about the movement from teachers and text books in high school, the topic was only discussed to a certain extent. Images of the women standing through all types of weather outside of the White House and how they were treated in Jail struck me. It affirmed the question I often hear of whether or not images are more intense thought provoking and then text. The one dislike I had about the movie was with the portrayal and viewings of Ida B Wells and her involvement with the movement. While there is a time limit, intentions on showing Alice Paul and Lucy Burn's struggle and efforts, I still feel that Ida's actions, ideas and differences made should have been included more in the film. She was only in one seen at the beginning about the parade and to me that was not enough. However, it did not change how I felt or how much I was impacted by the movie. I loved Ironed Jawed Angels and would recommend it to anyone learning about or interested in the First Wave of Feminism.

No comments:

Post a Comment