Monday, September 14, 2009

sexism is in the eye of the beholder

There are differences between actual, undeniable injustices, and feeling victimized when no harm was meant.  Women getting paid less than men based on their sex is an absolute injustice: no questions asked.  However, getting offensive and rude when a man opens a door for you (trying to be polite) is a bit over the top.  I do not deny the fact that feminism is indeed a completely relevant subject, as injustices happen to women every day; but I believe that sometimes feminists and/or advocates take things too far.  Sexism is in the eye of the beholder.  I see a man open a door for a woman and I think to myself, "Hm.  I guess chivalry isn't dead."  I hold doors open for women because that is what I was taught is the polite thing to do, and I mean no offense by it.  On the other hand, someone else may see a man open a door for a woman and think, "What a pig.  He just wants to get in her pants."  Both are valid arguments; and I believe that the intentions are variant upon the situation.  And what I say is not meant to be offensive to feminists (or anyone for that matter) I have just noticed that in most groups of oppressed peoples there are those who take things too far. 

Images such as those Emilia mentioned in her post (the half naked woman essentially selling sex and the domestic perfection) are completely objective.  When I read magazines and I see pictures such as these, I do not think about the half naked girl as being exploited.  Nor do I think of the picturesque domestic as being subservient or dominated.  I see the pictures for what they are - campaign ads.  I can understand how many people would completely disagree with me, however, what I have noticed about these people is that they do not (for the most part) realize that not all people think the same as they do.  It is situations such as this, where a feminist (or other advocate) may see things too literally, and take his or her advocacy too far.

No comments:

Post a Comment