Tuesday, September 15, 2009

feminism today? (corina allender)

Before even beginning to tackle the question, is feminism still needed today? I feel required to firstly define what the word feminism means for myself personally. When I tell people I am a feminist it is because I consider myself to be someone who strives for equal rights for everyone and the ability to have control over your own mind and body. So in this sense I clearly do believe in supporting women’s rights, but I believe equally in fostering opportunities for people of all different cultures, religions and ethnicities.            

So for myself, when I ask if feminism is still needed today, I must also ask if everyone, in respect to different cultures, is being granted equality, and control over their own body. When I look around at our own country, and other countries throughout the world I see that clearly we are still in dire need of feminists. Here in America, women’s bodies are subjugated through the media’s perception of us as large breasted, super skinny Barbie dolls. This type of portrayal leads to a slew of problems for young girls such as eating disorders, and depression, not to mention the effect that it can have on men by falsifying the female body. In many African countries female genital mutilation is an engrained part of the culture. Although it is generally a religious ritual, we should not forget that this excruciatingly painful practice is often forced upon young girls against their will. Sometimes they are given anesthetic but usually the girls are provided little medical care (in the western sense) of any kind.

            The media’s portrayal of women in the United States, and female genital mutilation are just two examples of injustices that I see in the world, which as a feminist make me want to stand up and help create change. I think feminism is still vitally relevant today, and although the literal word may carry negative connotations, its goals and intents are generally admirable and essential to the fight for human rights in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment